If you plan to go out on the water, always remember to:
- "Keep in touch"
- Plan your trip carefully and never go out alone
- Let someone ashore know where you are going and when you will be back (consider using the SafeTrx App)
- Carry a means of communication for raising the alarm should you get in difficulty
Before leaving shore, you should:
- Check the Weather Forecast - Met Eireann Marine Weather; Inland Lakes Forecast
- Check times of Sunrise/Sunset - TimeAndDate.com
- Check the boat and equipment
- Check you have enough fuel for your trip
- Check lifejackets before use (and wear them on board)
- Inform shore contact of your intentions
- Identify any landmarks or navigational aids that you can use
- Confirm that you have means for calling for help
- Confirm that the trip is within the capability of the boat and crew
Download our full checklist in PDF format below.